Are you curious about CBD products? If so, then you’re not the only one. Cannabinoids like CBD are fast becoming the most talked about health food supplement on the Irish wellness market. Both men and women are searching online and in store for hemp derived oils and other hemp products to add to their food diet. But why?
Research continues to emerge regarding CBD as a health supplement, but most are small scale studies. The study of cannabis and its compounds needs to see further growth before claims of health benefits like anxiety, stress reduction, increased focus and sleep quality can be confirmed fact. Much anecdotal and testimonial evidence exists online today citing a range of potential results, but further clinical research is needed.
In this Guide to CBD oil in Ireland we will review everything to do with the CBD market including what CBD is, how it works, where to buy it and the various forms for sale. Whether you’re a beginner or an avid CBD user you will find all the information you need right here.
So, let’s start by looking at what exactly CBD is.
What is CBD?
CBD, or Cannabidiol as it is also known, is a chemical compound found in variations of the cannabis plant. Both hemp and marijuana are members of the cannabis plant family and can often be a source of confusion for those learning about CBD. Although the hemp plant and marijuana plant are both relatives of cannabis, there is a difference in their cannabinoid content and the properties they possess.
Hemp primarily contains the cannabinoid CBD which is non-toxic and produces low psychoactive effects. Many people refer to CBD as being ‘non-psychoactive’ however this is not the case. To have an impact in terms of relief from stress for example, CBD must be psychoactive in some form as it interacts with cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Cannabidiol (CBD) however is safe to use and growing in popularity amongst people looking for a food supplement with potential health benefits.
THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the other primary chemical compound found in the cannabis plant. It is present in small if not trace amounts in the hemp plant but found in large amounts in marijuana. THC can be toxic to the user when consumed in large amounts, hence why marijuana remains illegal in countries across the EU and the world.
CBD products and CBD oils contain only trace amounts of THC or none. CBD and many other cannabinoids present in hemp, like CBG, make up the extracted plant supplement. This ensures the safety of a CBD oil product for people of almost any age.
What is the Endocannabinoid System & how does it work in the body?
A system exists in the human body called the Endocannabinoid System. This receptor system which revolves around internal signals being sent in the body for regulation purposes was discovered in 1988.
Scientists continue to study this system to this day to learn more about it, as not all is known regarding its function. However, we do know that it works to regulate and maintain the balance of bodily functions like stress response, sleep cycle and even hormonal responses.
The ECS consists of three key elements - endocannabinoids, cannabinoid receptors and enzymes.
- Endocannabinoids are neurotransmitters produced within various parts of the body. They are produced on demand when the body feels it needs them to regulate the function of a particular area. They bind to cannabinoid receptors to send necessary signals and maintain homeostasis.
- Cannabinoid receptors, CB1 and CB2 for example, are present to receive signals from endocannabinoids when they bind together. When a CBD supplement is taken, these receptors bind to cannabinoids extracted from the cannabis plant in the same way and effectively work to balance the body using CBD compounds.
- Enzymes work to speed up reactions in the body and in turn break down the produced endocannabinoids. Such enzymes include fatty acids.
So, to recap, cannabinoids which come from the hemp plant, one of which is CBD, mirror the role of endocannabinoids which are naturally produced by the body. CBD and many other cannabinoids present in CBD oils and products in smaller amounts, work to interact with the ECS and regulate important functions of the human body. In case you didn’t know, animals also have the same system at work within them and can benefit from the use of CBD oil too.
What is the Status of CBD Supplements in Ireland?
Cannabidiol food supplements are permitted to use and sell in Ireland but under particular guidelines. As cannabis derived products like CBD oils are not seen as having any medicinal benefits by the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA), CBD oils and CBD products must be classed as food supplements when sold. Brands of CBD oil must comply with this regulation in order to trade.
This often results in confusion amongst people seeking out CBD supplements. The purchase and sale of CBD is authorized once a product contains 0.2% THC or less. Such a product can be taken daily like any other food supplement you may find in a health shop or pharmacy. Most CBD customers see their use of CBD supplements just the same as taking Calcium for bone health or Vitamin D for a healthy immune system.
The addition of hemp derived CBD to a food diet provides nutrients such as Omega 3, B vitamins, iron and thiamine. Carrier oils in each bottle of CBD oil can vary but usually it is hemp seed oil which is a vegan friendly and natural addition to any diet.
How to Take CBD Oil Food Supplements?
CBD supplement products come in many forms. For example, Dr. Hemp Me is an Irish online CBD store and features a wide range of cannabidiol based products on their website. Other brands tailor their range to CBD oils specifically while some offer a variety of options. Forms of CBD available to buy in Ireland include the following:
- CBD Oil – this option is by far the most popular across the country as it comes in a range of potencies and strengths. Doses of CBD oil are consumed orally under the tongue where the mouth absorbs the CBD into the blood stream. For some customers this option is not suitable as the taste of the drops can be strong and the dosage precise.
- CBD Gummies – these edible and individual doses of CBD are tasty and effective. Many men and women opt for Gummies as they are easy to use and manage in terms of dosage. They are a nice excuse to treat yourself to a sweet too each day.
- CBD Capsules – this method works as the capsules undergo absorption through the digestive system. It can take longer for the CBD to become active in the body and some is lost in digestion but remains a popular choice due to a lack of taste and easy use.
- CBD Vape Juice – this choice is referred to either as CBD vape juice or CBD vape oil and is a fast-acting method of CBD supplements. Vaping allows the CBD content to be absorbed through the lungs and into the body but of course vaping in general comes with its own health risks. Flavors to mask the taste of hemp are available.
- CBD Paste – this option is very potent and for serious CBD users. A syringe is used to drop a dose of CBD paste under the tongue every day. The taste is strong but the quality is on par so you will certainly be investing if you choose this supplement form.
Where to Buy CBD Oil Supplements in Ireland?
CBD food supplements can now be purchased in several locations across Ireland. A favored choice is to buy online through dedicated CBD stores with expert teams. Often such sites provide customer service at the point of sale through chat features and user-friendly stores.
Cannabis supplement products can also be bought from physical CBD shops, pharmacies, and health shops too. However, the variety of CBD oil products is often not as good in pharmacies and health shops as it is from stand-alone CBD brands found online.